Mediaeval in origin, and possibly Islamic, the village's
existence is first recorded with certainty in 1198.
The Lancias, who with others were the lords of the
fief, obtained the title of Marquis in 1656.
The ruins ofthe mediaeval castle are in the upper
part of the little town. Near the town centre is
the Chiesa Madre, which was restructured in the
18th c. It contains some fine works including a
statue of the Madonna, of the Gagini school, a 16th
c. marble polyptych, and Our Lady of the Annunciation
by Antonio Gagini (1544).